Kinds of hosting solutions
A hosting service means storing and/or sharing given web content on a hosting server administered by a web hosting distributor. There are different types of hosting services used for various aims, so let's take a peek at them. Thus, you can determine what you need, on the basis of whether you'd like to run a web page, email box accounts, or to share files with chums and partners.
- File hosting: a solution delivered by some companies, which permits you to share immense files. These could be disk images, films, audio files, archived documents, and so on. This service is also known as file storage, and its sole designation is to share files, since it does not offer site uploading. As soon as the files are uploaded, you will either receive an accidentally created download link for each of them, or you will be able to read an index of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to load .html or .php web page files in your browser. Free file hosting accounts are often supported by showing advertisements beside the download links, while a timer makes you await a particular period of time to view them. A given file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you get a paid file storage package, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download immediately, and also there is no limit as far as the download speed and the file size are concerned.
These days, with the help of the cPanel hosting vendors, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more fashionable "cloud hosting". This is a totally imprecise interpretation of the actual definition of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting platform would share the load between different sets of hosting servers in a cluster, which are committed to serving various website hosting services (mail, disk space, stats, DNS, databases, website hosting CP, etc.) So, the file hosting solution is just a kind of a disk storage hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: similar to file hosting; certain providers offer a hosting solution for images only. This hosting brand is good if you would like to share a huge number of pics with mates or partners since the service is typically free of charge. You will get a randomly generated link for every picture or album and you can then share this link. As with the file storage service, .html and .php files are not supported, so the solution cannot be used for web pages.
- E-mail hosting: a service dedicated to tackling your mail aliases. Some vendors offer hosting services for web sites, but do not provide an e-mail solution. If you would like to create an email address with your domain name but do not wish to keep a site, then the e-mail hosting solution is what you need. You can open e-mail address accounts and administer them, but there will be no web solution for the domains. The e-mail hosting service includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP e-mail servers.
- Video hosting: this solution allows you to upload and share video files. You can either share a link to a particular video clip, or you can embed the video file in your web site that is hosted elsewhere. The advantage of utilizing this approach instead of uploading the video file in a hosting account is that the video file brings about a given amount of CPU load, so with several video files and a few hundred site viewers, you may have a hard time with your web space hosting resources. Embedding the video clip will enable you to have as many video files as you would like without hassling about system supplies.
- Web page hosting: this is the service that you need if you wish to run a site. To a certain degree, it comprises all of the aforementioned hosting groups since, along with your websites, you can also host pics and files, you can keep databases and e-mails, upload video files, and so on. At Lonex, for example, you can take a glance at web hosting and dedicated hosting packages that enable you to have all of the abovementioned services in one place. There may be limits depending on the sort of hosting solution that you've picked - a free hosting account, a paid shared hosting plan, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your site hosting package may be better or worse in comparison with the normal e-mail/file/video/image hosting accounts that are meant for specific web content solely.